Elizabeth Banks: I Thank Birth Control Pills for My Son
Just over a year ago, my son Felix was born via gestational surrogacy. He came out of me nine months early and because of my broken belly, his babycake was baked in a wonderful angel’s oven and now — I can’t believe it — he’s a year old and walking. He has expanded my capacity for joy a thousand-fold.
His life would have been much harder to come by if not for the birth control pill. How’s that, you ask? Well, it’s a simple fact: The pill is used for many situations that have nothing to do with the prevention of pregnancy. The pill was prescribed to me when hormonally induced migraines kept me locked up in dark rooms for days at a time. It was prescribed to me to regulate insanely painful cramps every month — cramps so painful that I often vomited.
And here’s a little secret I am happy to blow the lid off of: The pill is often prescribed during the IVF (in vitro fertilization) process to help MAKE BABIES! That’s right, women dealing with infertility are often put on the pill to help regulate a cycle so that they might have a more successful IVF. The pill is used to manage ovarian cysts, endometriosis and other conditions too. Not to mention, it helps couples plan for wanted children.
Obviously, I’m not a doctor. I’m just a woman grateful for my necessary and very helpful medication. And I’m sure glad I don’t have to discuss any of these conditions, including infertility, with my employer.
A girlfriend and I recently wondered what would be more mortifying: having to tell her male employer she needed birth control to mitigate a heavy flow or just bleeding all over herself in the office?
So with that image in mind, I encourage all women — and the men in their lives — to protect access to birth control, and encourage our politicians to take women’s health issues out of the political process.
For more information, please visit the most comprehensive and willing advocates for women’s health in America: www.plannedparenthood.org.
- cancerone likes this
- herwitheredsoul reblogged this from fiftyshadesofdevingray
- iwasbornadinosaurus reblogged this from finallyme
- iwasbornadinosaurus likes this
- ladylatey reblogged this from i-juggle-goslings
- i-juggle-goslings reblogged this from gertrudejinlges
- i-juggle-goslings likes this
- gertrudejinlges reblogged this from wombsonstrike
- logic-and-art likes this
- wombsonstrike reblogged this from soundssimpleright
- janedoe01 likes this
- poetrymafia reblogged this from judygrimes
- juliasea likes this
- comprehensive8psychosis reblogged this from impudentmermaid
- comprehensive8psychosis likes this
- sturmborn likes this
- wily-caryatid reblogged this from bigfatfeminist
- wily-caryatid likes this
- bipolarbisexualbrunette reblogged this from finallyme
- bloodsilver reblogged this from itachi118
- bloodsilver likes this
- alegnajoy reblogged this from misstransatlantic
- itachi118 reblogged this from everydayfeminism
- kaleidoscope-champagne reblogged this from earlphantomhived
- keepurpride likes this
- markerspasm likes this
- timetoputonashow likes this
- farcryforleopard reblogged this from emergencexitonly
- emergencexitonly reblogged this from whydontyoulovelife
- orgyofme reblogged this from wanderingoff
- wanderingoff reblogged this from gyzym
- dodecadeath likes this
- liripoop likes this
- you-feckin-drugga reblogged this from chunkydunkingmermaid
- reneeduhhh likes this
- cereal-anytime reblogged this from finallyme
- shayorial likes this
- tingiling reblogged this from judygrimes
- couragecompass reblogged this from freebirdmixtapes
- alphiriel likes this
- slafennog likes this
- polaroptics reblogged this from scatter--the--nuns
- polaroptics likes this
- or-it-malingers reblogged this from scatter--the--nuns
- irishbellwherefrecklesdwell reblogged this from scatter--the--nuns
- cannibulcakester reblogged this from scatter--the--nuns
- scatter--the--nuns reblogged this from deadlyrainbows
- hazel-thoughts likes this
- ramblingsofasortadomesticgoddess likes this
- merryhappyunbirthday reblogged this from vi11ain